The Ephesus Church of Winston-Salem, North Carolina grew from humble beginnings as three missionary-minded ladies of Danville, Virginia, impressed by the gospel mission, "Go ye therefore and teach all nations," came to Winston-Salem. They brought the light of truth and blessed hope of eternal salvation to all who would keep the commandments of God. They gave Bible studies and held meetings in various homes from 1901-1903. As a result of these studies, several people were convinced of the truth and became Sabbath keepers. Hedda Mebane, Beckie Claybum and another sister whose name could not be recalled, laid the foundation stones for this, the Ephesus Seventh-day Adventist Church.
In 1903, Elder H. R. Shelton came to Winston-Salem and organized the little company of approximately 15 believers--among whom were Sister Louise Pearson, Sister J. Huntly, Brother W.R. Willis and Brother Emery Delapp. After seven years of service, Elder Shelton transferred in 1910 and Elder G. E. Peters served as pastor from 1910 until 1913. The church continued to grow, and in 1956, the members took a bold step to insure that the children received Christian education by founding Ephesus Junior Academy.
The current church building was erected in 1988 to the glory of God, and our current spiritual leader, Pastor Godwin Mitchell, returned to Ephesus (where he had served as an assistant pastor in his early years of ministry) in 2008. We thank God for each leader that has been sent to build on the foundation laid in 1901. We look forward to a promising future as we prepare hearts for Jesus' soon return.